Monday, October 27, 2014

Soup Season!

Phoenicians are celebrating our exodus from 3-digit temperatures - Fall has arrived! Kids born and raised in the desert are even breaking out their sweatshirts for the "chilly" 70-degree mornings.

While I may not be ready for boots and sweaters, the cooler temps do give me a great excuse to try out some new soup recipes. We recently had a large amount of potatoes and broccoli to get through, so I jumped on the trusty www.allrecipes.com and used my favorite "Ingredient Search."

I changed the servings on the site (another handy tool!) in an attempt to make half of the original recipe. However, I forgot that the numbers don't change in the actual step-by-step instructions. So, in a last-ditch effort I threw in more potatoes (4 total), onion (1 whole), but only had 20 oz. (2 frozen bags) of broccoli florets. I used the original recipe's amounts for the broth and seasonings, and added a dash of Cayenne per one of the comments. The result was excellent! I think my "mistake" of using slightly less broccoli helped to avoid the overwhelming broccoli flavor that a few comments mentioned.

I did end up with quite a bit left over, so I'm hoping it's great for leftovers, too! All in all, it's an easy recipe for a tasty, filling dish.

*BONUS! Did I mention it's vegan?! Don't tell your guests... They won't even miss the heavy cream or butter. :-)

Click here for the full recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment