Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Grand Canyon (Part 6)

I know what you're thinking... "Where are the first five parts?!"

In our short time (almost two years) in the southwest, I am proud to say that I have visited the Grand Canyon six times. It's not exactly in our backyard (more like half a day's drive away). However, I have had many opportunities to make the drive, so I've decided to recap my grand visits in reverse, starting with my most recent visit.

The reason for my most recent visit was more for business than pleasure. My coworkers and I set out to "scout" a potential future field trip for our students. The educational opportunities afforded at the Grand Canyon are limitless - biology, ecology, geography, geology, hydrology, sociology... just to name a few! Since it is a bit of a drive, we've decided to make it a moving field trip, including awesome stops on our way to and from the Canyon.
Looking back at the San Francisco Peaks, the stratovolcano.
First stop - Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument.


While I'd driven by this sign a few times, I was never able to visit the park. I highly recommend this park to anyone passing through/near Flagstaff, AZ!


Even if you're short on time, there are some fantastic short walks/hikes available that get you up close and personal with the lava flows.











It seems as if history is frozen in time, and the waysides do a great job of explaining the phenomena. If you have the time (and energy), there are also some more strenuous hikes for different vantage points.





We were happy to find easy walking trails, plenty of parking, an informative Visitor's Center, and lots of picnic tables for snack time. I can't wait bring our Geology lessons to life for our students!



On to the Grand Canyon!

The first view of the Canyon is always spectacular... no matter how many times you've seen it. I am continually amazed by how different the landscape can look based on the time of year and time of day.
Grand Canyon, South Rim, early afternoon
Every time I visit, I see something new. This time, we decided to join a Ranger-led tour. Our "Geology Walk" with Ranger Lapre was entertaining and informative... and you can't beat the backdrop!
Grandeur Point, South Rim
Although we missed sunset on this trip, we were sure to catch sunrise the next day, and it didn't disappoint.
South Rim, near Bright Angel trailhead
Before leaving, I witnessed another "first." A thin line of smoke/smog hovered above the Canyon, and I recalled hearing about the coal plant nearby and the controversy surrounding it
View from Mather Point at late morning
On our drive home, we had planned to visit Montezuma Castle, but our unintentional detour led us in another direction. I am reminded that "it's not an adventure until something goes wrong," or...

"...when everything goes wrong, that's when adventure starts." ~Yvon Chouinard

Here's to embracing what goes wrong and what goes right! We'll just have to save that stop for another time (and another post)!




2 comments:

  1. I am soooo jealous, I am dying to go to the grand canyon. Gorgeous pictures!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come visit, Megan! I'd love to see the photos you get.

      Delete